Fire alarm systems are the most essential safety systems in the building – the fire alarm system must not be compared with the smoke detector since the fire alarms have a profound role. Every year, the fire alarm systems help in protecting lives and property by regulating the systems in the buildings when they are installed. Even many regulations and laws have made it compulsory for the buildings to install fire alarm systems. Along with the other security systems, the fire alarm system detect the fire outbreak possibilities, thus sending notifications to the occupants and emergency responders about the fire.
Let us learn about the different components making up the complete fire alarm systems.
The Main Components of the Fire Alarm System
A glance at the fire alarm systems might lead you to think it is all about the red and white lights on the walls with the pull stations by the door. But these are the components of the fire alarm systems and consist of different parts based on the system type we are not seeing. In general, fire alarms are having three main components.
i. Fire Alarm Control Panel
The fire alarm control panel leads and controls all the other parts. The control system functionality is for monitoring the inputs being received from the initiating devices. It is from here that the control hub ensures maintaining the integrity of the entire system, while it is monitoring the output and giving out the needed information.
ii. Initiating Devices
The initiating devices activate the fire alarm systems; these input devices could be either automatic or manual.
- Manual Initiating Devices – The initiating devices triggering the system with the human touch is the manual initiating device or the manual initiating stations. These could be the pull stations, buttons, break glass stations and more. With this device sensitivity being concerned, these must be in parts of the building where people will be identifying, accessing and operating them.
- Automatic Initiating Devices – The automatic devices detect the changes taking place and in times of emergency, they trigger automatically. The devices list categorized under this is exhaustive, and these include flame detectors, carbon dioxide detectors and more. A few innovations in the automatic initiating devices are using the cameras artificial intelligence for analysing and detecting fires better.
iii. Notification Devices
Sometimes, the notification devices are essential to the fire alarm system, these devices send alerts to the people at the time of emergencies using sound, visual, and smell based stimuli. Audio-visual type is the most common type using the bell/siren/horn combined with flashing or strobe red light.
The other parts of the system include –
- Primary Power Supply – The main electricity source is usually supplied to the fire alarm system, as 124V or 24v.
- Secondary Power Supply – The backup power supply might be a lead-acid battery, which could be a power system in case there is a power failure.
- Building Safety Interfaces – Through these things, it becomes easy for people to move out when emergencies arrive. These comprise ventilation systems, exit lighting and more.
You need to consult the professional fire alarm system for helping you with the alarm systems starting with the initial design, to its installation, carrying on with regular inspections and ensuring maintenance. They are experienced in serving businesses of all kinds, and you can at any time contact them for your fire alarm system needs.